Weekly Household Garbage Collection
Residential collection days are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All garbage, recyclables and yard waste are collected on the assigned collection days. The City requires containers to be placed at the curb, street or road no earlier than the day prior to collection or by 6:00 a.m. on the assigned collection day. The container(s) must be removed by midnight of the assigned collection day.
Sign up for Service
Visit City Hall to sign a contract for service or call 336-243-2489.
Call Public Services at 336-248-3965 if you are ever in doubt about your collection day.
|For this issue
||Call this number|
|Garbage - Missed Collection
|Garbage - Damaged/Missing Container
- Place only bagged household trash in your green rollout garbage container.
- The handles must be facing the residence, not the street. By placing the rollout correctly, it reduces the chances of spillage.
- Do not place rollout container close to any obstructions. All rollouts must be at least four (4) feet from any vehicles, utility poles, recycling rollouts, brush piles, etc. If there is more than one rollout at a location, there must be at least four (4) feet of distance between rollouts.
- The rollout container is the property of the City of Lexington. Each container is numbered and assigned to a specific location. If you move, the container must remain at the location.
- Roll your container to the curb the night before your scheduled collection day.
- Do not place yard waste, brush or any construction debris in your green rollout container.
A dumpster is permitted at dwellings where 6 families or more reside. The City does not supply dumpsters, the property owner must purchase their own.
The City observes the following holidays and on these days service may be affected. See our holiday schedule for more information.
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
View Services Brochure
Connect With Lexington
Consider signing up for e-news
to receive alerts about changes in service. You are also encouraged to follow the City of Lexington on Facebook