Residential collection days
are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All garbage/trash/yard waste/recyclables are collected on the assigned collection days. The City requires containers and all other debris to be placed at the curb, street or road no earlier than the day prior to collection. The container(s) must be removed by midnight of the assigned collection day. Note: Service must be activated at a location before any waste will be collected.
Rollout Container Guidelines:
- Place rollout container curb or street side the night prior to collection. Remove container by midnight on the collection day. The handles must be facing the residence not the street. By placing the rollout correctly, it reduces the chances of spillage.
- Do not place rollout container close to any obstructions. Rollouts must be at least three (3) feet from any vehicles, utility poles, recycling bin, brush piles, etc.
- If there is more than one rollout at a location, there must be at least three (3) feet of distance between rollouts.
- All garbage must be bagged before placement in the rollout container. The City Code of Ordinances requires garbage be contained to reduce odors and public health hazards.
- The rollout container is the property of the City of Lexington. Each container is numbered and assigned to a specific location address. If you move, the container must remain at the location.
- If you move to a location and there is no rollout container, please contact the Recycling and Waste Collection department.
- Brush must not exceed 6 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length
- Brush should be placed neatly at the curb with all limbs facing the same direction
- Brush must not exceed the allowable collection amount
- Brush cut from vacant lots will NOT be collected
- Brush mixed with other materials such as garbage, junk or household trash will NOT be collected
- Brush that does not meet size requirements (stumps, logs) will NOT be collected
- Brush placed in an inaccessible area (under wires, tree branches or blocked by vehicles) will NOT be collected.
Recycling is collected on the regular scheduled collection day. A complete list of acceptable items for recycling is available. Visit our Recycling page and help your community Go Green!
To request a recycling bin or additional information, please visit the Recycling and Waste Collection webpages or contact us.
Holiday Schedule Changes
Please visit Collection Day changes around Holidays for information related to schedule changes for recycling and waste collection due to City observed holidays.
If you would like the convenience of being notified via email when your collection day may change due to a holiday, please Sign up for eNews! You may also visit the Recycling and Waste Collection calendar for key dates and events.