Lexington Residential National Register District, listed April 19, 2007
The Lexington Residential Historic District contains the earliest (late nineteenth century) residential sections of town; platted early-to mid-twentieth-century neighborhoods—Park Place, Robbins Heights, Courtenay, Rosemary Park, Hillcrest, Oak Crest, and Westover Heights; and the Lexington City Cemetery. The district lies one block northwest of the commercial core of Lexington (most of which is included in the Uptown Lexington Historic District listed in the National Register in 1996), and encompasses approximately 264 acres, 751 primary and 183 secondary resources. One property, Grimes School, was previously listed in the National Register (1988).The district also includes the Lexington City Cemetery, its earliest resource.
Uptown Lexington - Listed 1996
The Uptown Lexington Historic District constitutes the historic core of Lexington's commercial and governmental center. The District has the largest and most concentrated collection of commercial buildings from ca. 1885 to ca. 1945 in Davidson County. Situated roughly along Main Street between Third Avenue and Second Street, the district is made up of 68 resources, mostly commercial in nature. Eighty-two percent of the resources in the Uptown Lexington Historic District contribute to its historic character, reflecting its 1824-1946 period of significance. One property, the former Davidson County Courthouse, is already listed in the National (1971). The district contains several of the buildings-- the former Davidson County Courthouse, the former United States Post Office, and the former March Hotel—that are architecturally significant on an individual basis. Together, the collection of fifty-two contributing buildings in the district forms a cohesive continuum of commercial architecture representative of the period.
Erlanger Mill Village - Listed on the National Register January 9, 2008
The Erlanger Mill Historic District lies just north of downtown Lexington and encompasses a remarkably intact collection of approximately 330 primary resources constructed between 1913 and 1929. Abraham and Charles Erlanger purchased a 250-acre section of the Grimes estate north of Lexington for the site of their new textile mill in 1911, producing their first woven cloth on March 28, 1914. The Erlanger family needed a source of cotton fabric for the BVD underwear manufactured in their Baltimore plant, and a group of Lexington businessmen persuaded them to locate a production facility in North Carolina. By the late 1920s the village was expanded to include over three hundred homes, two churches and a series of community buildings. Erlanger was officially incorporated into the Lexington city limits in 1942, but the village retained a strong sense of community. The company began selling homes to private owners in 1953. The Erlanger family sold the company in 1971 to Parkdale Mills Inc. of Gastonia which continues to operate the plant today.