NATURAL GAS SAFETY TIPS
IT’S BEST TO BE SAFE!
If you smell gas, immediately leave the area! After you go someplace away from the odor, you can then call 336-248-3945 (during business hours) or 336-248-2337 (after hours/weekends) to reach the Natural Gas department.
Do your part to make a safe fuel even safer. Here are some DO's and DON'Ts for natural gas.
Learn all you can about natural gas. The more you know...the safer you will be.
Keep the areas around appliances/equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper air flow.
Look for the blue flame. If pilot lights and burners have a steady, blue flame, they are operating correctly. (Decorative gas fire logs are the only exception. Their flame is usually yellow.)
Follow manufacturer instructions for the care and use of gas appliances and equipment.
Review natural gas safety tips regularly with ALL family members and coworkers.
Use your nose. If you ever detect even a small amount of the odor of natural gas in the air, get away!
Let small children play with or near natural gas appliances or pipes, including the knobs on the oven or cooktop.
Use your stove or oven for anything other than cooking (for instance, to heat your home), under any circumstances.
Move or install a gas appliance or change the connector in any way without professional assistance.
Use a space heater UNTIL you are sure it has been vented properly. If using a vent-free heater, make sure the automatic cut-off switch is operational.
Install a gas appliance yourself, unless you are a a qualified contractor. Always seek professional assistance.
Ever store household chemicals or combustible materials near gas appliances.
Above all, don’t forget to learn what to do if you ever smell natural gas in the air.