Day Camp Assistants for Parks & Recreation will assist in supervising children ages 6-13 in a six-week camp program Monday through Friday. They must provide opportunities for recreational, social and enrichment activities such as arts and crafts, sports, nature studies, storytelling, music, dance, drama, games, fieldtrips and special events. Applicants must be able to adjust to any situation, displaying enthusiasm and patience. Day Camp Assistants are expected to work every day camp is in session. A mandatory Summer Day Camp orientation will be held.
Must be committed to all work days and weeks from June 11th through August 3rd, excluding July 4th.
Day Camp Assistants will be responsible for providing:
• Provide onsite supervision of recreational programs;
• Implement recreational programs under supervision of full time staff;
• Apply appropriate behavior management techniques for participants, volunteers, parents, and observers;
• Provide direction to other staff, volunteers or participants as needed;
• Perform set-up and tear-down of program materials;
• Assist supervisor with development of schedules;
• Maintain records of attendance, scores, and other program specific information and report them to supervisor;
• Participate in mandatory training activities, assist as required;
• Drive city vehicles as needed for transporting equipment or participants;
• Check facilities for safety, cleanliness, and good repair prior and during use and report problems to supervisor;
• Ensure participants, staff, and volunteers are adhering to safety regulations;
• Assist with special events as required.
• Ability to make arithmetic computations using whole numbers, fractions and decimals;
• Ability to document and process incidents;
• Ability to deal effectively with the public and co-workers;
• Ability to keep records for attendance, scores, or activities;
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written w/ staff, supervisor, participants, parents, and the public;
• General knowledge of athletics, youth programming, and recreation;
• Ability to identify and respond accordingly to hazards to ensure participant safety;
• Ability to monitor participant behavior and administer discipline;
• Ability to change tasks quickly and unannounced;
• Ability to interpret, follow, and relay directions to others;
• Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Minimum age of 18;
• Valid NC driver's license and good driving record.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, walking, grasping, crawling and repetitive motions. Vocal communication and hearing are required for communicating in person and by telephone. Visual acuity is required for determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surrounding and activities. The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
Application and instructions are available here. Submit City of Lexington Employment Application and resume to email@example.com, by mail to City of Lexington, P.O. Box 1615, Lexington, NC 27293 or in person at 711 South Talbert Blvd., Lexington, NC. Deadline to apply is March 16, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Applications are also taken until 5:00pm at the NC Works Career Center, 220 E. 1st Ave., Ext, Lexington, NC 27295.
Applicants offered employment will be asked to participate in a drug and alcohol screening.
The City of Lexington does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, non-disqualifying disability, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.